Uber and Waymo have finally settled. So what can this real live corporate drama teach start-ups and their partner companies about navigating around the dangers of intellectual property? Plus Facebook is testing a downvote option on comments and how the Praying Mantis may be key to giving robots low-cost stereoscopic vision.
Starring Sarah Lane, Tom Merritt, Roger Chang, Len Peralta and Shannon Morse.
Multiple versions (ogg, video etc.) from Archive.org.
Please SUBSCRIBE HERE.
Follow us on Soundcloud.
A special thanks to all our supporters–without you, none of this would be possible.
Big thanks to Mustafa A. from thepolarcat.com for the logo!
Thanks to our mods, Kylde, Jack_Shid, KAPT_Kipper, and scottierowland on the subreddit
To read the show notes in a separate page click here!
- Quick Hits
- (01:05) Waymo and Uber end trial with sudden $244 million settlement | ars technica
- (01:30) VLC 3.0 arrives for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Android TV, Apple TV, and Chrome OS | venturebeat
- (02:05) China’s Didi, SoftBank target Japan in taxi-hailing push | reuters
- (02:30) Nest co-founder Matt Rogers is leaving the company just after it rejoins Google | the verge
- More Top Stories
- (02:50) Chrome will mark all HTTP sites as ‘not secure’ starting in July | the verge
- (06:00) Facebook confirms it’s testing a downvote feature for public posts | iafrikan
- (09:15) Researchers discovered a new kind of stereo vision by putting tiny 3D glasses on mantises | tech crunch
- (12:35) Amazon’s answer to UPS is reportedly getting its first proper launch in LA | the verge
- Discussion Story: (17:50) Waymo vs Uber
- Waymo accepts $245 million and Uber’s ‘regret’ to settle self-driving car dispute | reuters
- Waymo and Uber reach a surprise settlement | the verge
- The battle of the damning emails begins with Waymo v. Uber opening statements | the verge
- Uber is pressuring one of its top executives to comply with Alphabet’s lawsuit | recode
- Here’s What You Need To Know About the Uber-Waymo Trial, Which Starts Today | the verge
- Uber and Waymo are finally going to trial. Why we should care | Yahoo
- Uber and Waymo Reach Settlement | uber
- Thing of the Day:
- (28:25) Lyft partners with Black Girls Code to help develop a more diverse tech industry | tech crunch
- Today’s Contributor